The overall goal of the CRA is to promote waste reduction and recycling of marketable/recyclable materials in the Carolinas. The members of CRA recognize that:
- Recycling reduces the weight and volume, and therefore cost, of waste to be disposed and reintroduces into the economy materials previously considered without value.
- Recycling supports manufacturing. Production of everything from steel to glass, paper, packaging, automobile and construction products, and textiles are made from recycled material in the Carolinas.
- Recycling creates jobs and business opportunities. It is one of the most consistently growing sectors of the economy in the Carolinas.
- Recycling helps reduce the need for new landfills. The growth in recycling has helped increase landfill capacity in NC from 20 to 32 years.
- Recycling allows citizens to contribute to environmental solutions. Through the simple act of recycling, Carolinians save water and energy, prevent pollution, protect habitats, and conserve valuable resources.
- Recycling improves the quality of life in Carolina communities.